Dominguez: Cabinet men not meddling in speakership race

By Joann Villanueva/Philippine News Agency

Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III (Photo courtesy of DOF)

MANILA – Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez denied on Thursday allegations that some members of Cabinet are actively lobbying for Taguig City Rep. Alan Peter Cayetano as the next House Speaker to ensure that certain insertions in the proposed 2020 national budget are kept.

Dominguez was reacting to Buhay party-list Rep. Lito Atienza’s supposed accusation that the finance chief, Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade and Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar are meddling in the House Speakership issue to be able to protect budget insertions.

According to the report, Atienza fears another year when funds will be allocated to non-essential projects like flood-control projects in areas that are not prone to flooding.

However, Dominguez said “the DOF (Department of Finance) does not interfere with the internal affairs of the Legislative Branch.”

“The DOF and attached bureaus and agencies have submitted only its budget request to the DBM (Department of Budget and Management) for consolidation and approval of the President,” he said.

“Its budget is one of the smaller departments and certainly does not contain any ‘insertions’, whatever that term means,” he added.

Members of the House of Representatives and the Senate are set to elect their leaders during the start of the 18th Congress on July 22, 2019.

Aside from Cayetano, Davao City 1st District Rep. Paolo Duterte, Davao City 3rd District Rep. Isidro Ungab, Marinduque Rep. Lord Allan Velasco, Leyte 1st District Rep. Martin Romualdez, and former Speaker and current Davao del Norte 1st District Rep. Pantaleon Alvarez are vying for the Speakership.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...