Maynilad spends P2.2-B for pipe replacement

PR/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — West Zone concessionaire Maynilad Water Services, Inc. (Maynilad) is replacing some 312 km. of old and leaky pipes this year, in line with its program to reduce water losses and upgrade the distribution system, and will spend PHP2.2 billion to do so.

The water concessioner said in a statement on Thursday that these pipe replacement activities — to be done in various portions of Quezon City, Muntinlupa, Parañaque, and Bacoor City — are expected to help them recover about 28 million liters of water per day (MLD), which is enough to supply the water needs of some 200,000 customers.

As of April, Maynilad has already replaced some 2,355 km. of old pipelines within its concession area. This is about 58 percent of the old distribution system that the company inherited when it was re-privatized in 2007.

“Replacing old pipes is part of the strategy to maximize existing supply for distribution to more areas. This is particularly important now, as we strive to meet the ever-increasing water requirements of a growing population,” said Ramoncito S. Fernandez, Maynilad president and CEO.

Maynilad is the concessionaire for the West Zone of the Greater Manila Area, which is composed of certain portions of the cities of Manila, Quezon City, and Makati, as well as Caloocan, Pasay, Parañaque, Las Piñas, Muntinlupa, Valenzuela, Navotas, and Malabon all in Metro Manila; Cavite City, and the towns of Bacoor, Imus, Kawit, Noveleta and Rosario, all in Cavite province.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...