Free Wi-Fi installed to aid Batanes earthquake evacuees, responders

PR

After being hit by consecutive earthquakes on Saturday, the town of Itbayat, Batanes was provided with emergency Wi-Fi access point by the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) as part of the government’s inter-agency disaster response.

Located in Itbayat Plaza, the said Wi-Fi access point was made available for emergency responders and internally displaced persons (IDPs) to enable them to communicate with teammates and relatives as needed.

“We want to make sure it (Free Wi-Fi) is institutionalized in the sense that it will be permanent and we will just install additional Wi-Fi access points since we cannot predict when the next disaster will hit,” DICT Secretary Gregorio Honasan II said.

“The guidance of the President is that the government should have an independent communications system. The communications of the private telcos were activated but we cannot rely on that because they are private entities, so we want to make it redundant,” Honasan added.

Meanwhile, President Rodrigo Duterte was briefed on Sunday, 28 July 2019 that Government Emergency Communications vehicles will soon be available for disaster response as it is set to arrive from Dubai, UAE by late August or early September.

The emergency vehicles will be utilized to achieve the goals of communicating with LGUs before, during and after a disaster with Office of Civil Defense (OCD) and Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) as partners for deployment.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...