2.7% inflation rate in Q1 2020 within target range

From the Taal eruption to the coronavirus pandemic, the year 2020 has brought in the most powerful forces of nature for the economy to face the risk of recession.

Despite the situation, the first quarter inflation remained within the two to four percent (2-4%) target of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP). The BSP said 2020 Quarter 1 (Q1) inflation is at 2.7 percent, slightly higher than the previous year’s 1.6 percent.

“The spread of the COVID-19 outbreak to many countries has caused the global economy to go into recession, in turn tourism, trade, foreign investments and remittances from overseas Filipinos are expected to contract,” BSP Governor Benjamin Diokno explained.

This has led to the central bank’s 75 basis points cut rate in the first quarter, followed by a 50 basis points cut last week to stimulate economic growth. The BSP has set the inflation outlook for 2020 at 2.2 percent and 2.4 percent for 2021.

To help restart the economy, the private sector which will receive the biggest blow from the COVID-19 economic hit is taking matters into its own hands through the help of Presidential Adviser for Entrepreneurship Joey Concepcion. He launched Project ARK to help in the COVID-19 mass testing.

Concepcion has reiterated that restarting the economy requires massive diagnostic testing for efficient monitoring and security measures.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...