President Duterte renews appeal to Cebuanos to follow rules to halt COVID-19

PCOO PR

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on Tuesday, July 1, reiterated his call to Cebuanos to follow government protocols to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) adding the imposition of tighter restrictions should not be construed as an insult to the population.

Cebu is considered the country’s COVID-19 “hotspot,” because of the continuous spike in the number of new infections.

“You have the highest [number of cases.] Cebu is now the hotspot for COVID. Bakit? Marami sa inyo hindi sumunod. Do not get insulted because I am also a Cebuano. Don’t get mad at me. I am just doing my job,” President Duterte said during a televised address.

The President expressed dismay over Cebu residents’ “almost nonchalant” attitude towards the disease, noting that safety measures such as stay-at-home order and social distancing policy were generally ignored.

“Kagaya ng Talisay. Talisay was like a marketplace everyday. Nag-iinuman kayo diyan, nagsusugal, almost nonchalant of the dangers that were lurking around,” he said. “You better shape up. Sana kung mag-ano lang kayo, naniwala ka.”

The President said that “substantial compliance” of quarantine measures was observed in greater Metro Manila area. He noted that despite some quarantine violations, they are generally followed.

If quarantine measures against the respiratory disease are strictly observed, there will be less number of cases, President Duterte explained.

“Ngayon kita mo bakit marami? Well, one of the reasons really I would say even without consulting the body because you did not follow rules. Hindi ganoon karami ‘yan,” he said.

On June 22, the President ordered Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu to oversee government efforts in containing COVID-19 outbreak in Cebu. He also placed Cebu City under “stricter” enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).

On Tuesday, the Cebu City Health Department (CCHD) logged 353 new cases, bringing the total number of infections to 5,494 with 2,723 recoveries and 169 deaths.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...