More OFWs to receive aid as PRRD OKs additional budget

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) announced that President Rodrigo Duterte has approved additional Php 5 billion fund for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs).

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said half of the budget will be allocated for the expansion of the Abot Kamay ang Pagtulong (AKAP) program or the one-time cash aid of the government for displaced OFWs.

More than 200,000 land and sea-based workers have benefited from the AKAP, and 597,469 more OFWs will be assisted with this additional fund. The program was previously suspended due to budgetary constraints.

The DOLE will provide Php 20,000 livelihood assistance and offers capital of up to Php 1 million for OFWs who want to start their own business.

“Mayroon din tayong programang tinatawag na National Reintegration Program… Nag-appropriate ang OWAA ng half (a) billion [pesos] para bigyan ng livelihood lahat ng OFW (We also have a National Reintegration Program. The OWWA appropriated half a billion [pesos] to give livelihood to all OFWs),” Bello said.

Latest data from DOLE show that 129,491 OFWs have been repatriated by the government and 20,000 more will be coming home by the end of August.

DOLE assured it will repatriate all Filipinos who want to return home and will provide free testing, food, accommodation, and transportation.

Meanwhile, the DOLE is still looking into opportunities for Filipinos amid the recession, including the increasing job requests from accredited employers in Guam. It is now considering the use of the online platform for the application of skilled Filipino workers. – Report from Cleizl Pardilla

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...