Diarrhea outbreak affects more than 300 residents in Davao De Oro

By Christine Fabro

A diarrhea outbreak affects more than 300 residents of a barangay in Davao De Oro, which is likely believed to be caused by water contamination.

As of June 19, the local government of Brgy. Pasian, Monkayo, Davao De Oro recorded 5 fatalities including a 3-year-old child, while four others are currently admitted to hospitals.

Around 235 households or 301 individuals were also affected by the outbreak.

According to the Monkayo local government unit (LGU), residents experienced stomach pain and diarrhea on June 12, but no one alerted the barangay health center as they might be suspected with COVID-19.

However, the Provincial Health Officer Dr. Antonio Ybiernas told the Philippine News Agency that the water sample submitted to the Water Laboratory in Tagum City, Davao del Norte was found to contain bacteria that caused the diarrhea outbreak in the village.

“The sample is negative for chemicals but the growth of the bacteria was present and it is not yet identified,” Ybiernas said.

He added that they recommended stopping the operation of the water source and proposed to install a solar-powered hypochlorite water source.

Brgy. Pasian’s Chairperson Maria Concepcion Crizaldo urged the residents to report any experienced symptoms to the health center immediately.

“Iba ang sitwasyon sa COVID-19, nanawagan kami na sana pumunta kaagad sila sa health center kung may iniinda na sakit tulad ng pananakit ng tiyan. Kasi kapag naagapan natin, hindi na la-lala pa ‘yung sakit. Ito ‘yung rason kung bakit lumala ‘yung sitwasyon ngayon,” she said.

The Philippine Red Cross responded to the outbreak by deploying two water tankers, water purification unit, welfare desks, and first aid station to provide aid to the affected residents. – rir

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...