DOH: Reported COVID-19 cases in NCR 65% higher than last week

By Christine Fabro

The Department of Health (DOH) has seen an increase in COVID-19 cases across the country in the recent week, with an average of 1,348 cases per day from July 27 to August 2.

“We have noted that all areas are showing an increase in the number of cases. The National Capital Region (NCR) and NCR Plus are showing a steep increase,” DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a public briefing on Tuesday (August 3). 

According to Vergeire, the national two-week growth rate (2WGR) is higher compared to the previous three to four weeks, and is now exhibiting a positive growth at 29% in the recent one to two weeks.

Meanwhile, the average daily attack rate (ADAR) is still at moderate risk, showing an increase in the recent week at six cases for every 100,000 individuals.

Based on moderate 2WGR and high-risk ADAR, those areas with high risk classification are NCR, Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Northern Mindanao, and Cordillera Administrative Region.

While the number of COVID-19 fatalities in NCR started to decrease in April 2021, Vergeire noted that there was an evident increase in deaths for Central Luzon and Central Visayas.

Vergeire explained that community quarantine classification is being determined based on the parameters that are being used by the Inter-Agency Task Force – escalation and de-escalation.

“For escalation is the healthcare utilization at kapag de-escalation naman po the trends in cases like ADAR and two-week growth rate,” Vergeire said.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...