Nothing to explain over alleged EJKs: Duterte

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte chats with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau after the Association of Southeast Asia Nations (ASEAN)-Canada 40th Anniversary Commemorative Summit at the Philippine International Convention Center on November 14, 2017. ACE MORANDANTE/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday night told Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that he has nothing to explain over reports of alleged human rights violations and extrajudicial killings (EJKs) in the Philippines.

“I said I will not explain,” Duterte said during a press briefing following the closing ceremonies of the 31st Association of Southeast Asian (ASEAN) Summit.

He said that what he did was ask his Canadian counterpart to “investigate first and find out the truth.”

He said Trudeau was likely presented only with reports of EJKs but without the full details of the incidents.

Duterte stressed that he answers only to the Filipino people adding that it angers him when a foreigner brings out the issues of extrajudicial killings without even investigating the truth.

“It is a personal and official insult. That is why you hear me throwing down epithets and curses… because it angers me,” he said.

“When you are a foreigner, you don’t know what exactly is happening in this country. You do not even investigate. What happened to the right to be heard?” Duterte said.

Earlier in the day, Trudeau said Duterte was “receptive” when he raised concerns over “human rights, rule of law and extrajudicial killings,” and describe his informal talks with the Philippine President as “very cordial and positive exchange throughout.”

Meanwhile, Duterte called on heads of states and other organizations not tot be easily taken in by reports coming from his critics whom he accused of fabricating records.

“Somebody here picks up the records of dead persons, they go there. You only show before the United Nations a record of how many persons died you claim to be extrajudicially,” he said.

“You know, my advice to everybody, even the ones that I curse publicly is: Do not get your documents from the opposition and from the communists because I said, they are all falsified,” Duterte said. (Jose Cielito Reganit/PNA)

Popular

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...

‘Organic, real people’: Gomez belies claims that PCO pays for reactors, vloggers

By Brian Campued Presidential Communications Office (PCO) acting Secretary Dave Gomez on Tuesday stressed that the PCO does not pay reactors and vloggers to support...