DOST sends water filters, nutribun to ‘Odette’-hit areas

By Ma. Cristina Arayata | Philippine News Agency

 

MANILA – The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) has sent ceramic water filters and enhanced nutribun (e-nutribun) to victims of Typhoon Odette in Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Mimaropa, and Caraga region.

In a taped report aired on Friday (Jan. 21), Secretary Fortunato de la Peña said 50 boxes of ceramic water filters were sent to Caraga and Cebu.

“Ceramic water filters will also be deployed to Regions 6 (Western Visayas), 8 (Eastern Visayas), and Mimaropa as soon as flights for these areas are finalized,” he said.

Over 73,000 pieces of DOST-Food and Nutrition Research Institute (FNRI) -developed e-nutribun vitamin-fortified bread were also distributed in Caraga, Surigao City, Dinagat Islands, and Siargao Islands.

DOST-Cordillera Administrative Region likewise provided over 8,000 pieces of e-nutribun to areas hard hit by “Odette” in December last year.

FNRI’s e-nutribun has an improved texture compared to the nutribun in the 1970s, while still carrying the requirement of more or less 500 kilocalories.

Other micronutrients such as Vitamin A, iron, and iodine, were added by putting in natural ingredients.

Meanwhile, DOST-Mimaropa organized a relief operation in Sitio Cabugawan, a remote island in Barangay Poblacion in Dumaran, Palawan.

At least 100 relief packs that included food and hygiene kits were given to residents and those in nearby areas. (PNA)   -ag

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...