BJMP receives supervision of new QC jail

After approximately four years of construction, the New Quezon City Jail facility located in Barangay Payatas, Quezon City was officially transferred to the supervision of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) today (March 29).

According to QC Warden Michelle Ng-Bonto, the new facility that can accommodate at least 6,000 persons deprived of liberty (PDL) would help decongest the current male dormitory at the corner of Epifanio de los Santos Avenue and Kamias Road, where over 3,000 PDLs are housed.

“Imagine mula sa dating 1,217% congestion rate sa lumang jail, ito ay magiging negative na pag na-okupa (occupy) natin ‘tong building na ‘to,” BJMP Chief J/Dir Allan Rial said.

The inmates will soon be transferred to the new facility pending the completion of the perimeter fencing. 

The 440 cells measuring 47 square meters equipped with two toilets and one sink can hold 10 PDLs each. An elevator is also provided for persons with disability, as well as a livelihood area, sports area, classrooms, and other recreational activities for PDLs.

“Hopefully when they move here, my dream is magkakaroon sila ng lugar kung saan sila puwede mag-exercise, their physical needs will be addressed. May magandang lugar kung saan sila puwedeng bisitahin ng kanilang minamahal,” Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte said in the turnover ceremony.

The new Quezon City Jail is one of the biggest jail facilities in the country with a construction cost of P1.4 billion.

Meanwhile, the BJMP has reported zero cases of COVID-19 among inmates, while around 2,000 are still unvaccinated.

“Last week po nagbigay po ang DOH-NCR [Department of Health- National Capital Region] ng 1,200 doses ng Moderna vaccines for the PDL, so ‘yung 2,000 mababawasan po ng 1,000 ‘yun,” BJMP-National Capital Region J/Dir Luisito Muñoz said. –Report from Mark Fetalco/VC-ag

Watch the report here:

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...