DOJ to form team for Comelec ‘Kontra Bigay’ initiative

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency

 

MANILA – Justice Sec. Menardo Guevarra on Tuesday (March 29) said his office will be backing the Commission on Elections (Comelec) “Kontra Bigay” Task Force against vote-buying.

“I intend to create a Department of Justice (DOJ) composite team from the National Prosecution Service, National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Public Attorney’s Office (PAO), and DOJ Action Centers (main and field offices) for the Comelec’s inter-agency task force against vote-buying,” Guevarra said.

“Considering the importance of the forthcoming elections to the survival and recovery of the nation, I will direct the DOJ contingent to give the highest priority to this campaign in the next 40 days,” he added.

Last week, Comelec Commissioner George Garcia said it will be seeking assistance from the Philippine National Police (PNP), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), and the Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) to ensure clean and orderly May polls.

Under the Omnibus Election Code, giving, offering, or promising “money or anything of value in order to induce anyone or the public, in general, to vote for or against any candidate or withhold his vote in the election” is prohibited. (PNA)

-ngs

 

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...