BOC, DA, DTI join forces vs. smuggled agri goods in Divisoria

The Bureau of Customs (BOC), the Department of Agriculture (DA), and the Department of Trade and Industry on Monday (April 4) conducted a joint operation against agricultural product smuggling in Divisoria.

Around 70 boxes of smuggled carrots and broccoli weighing 20 kilos each were confiscated by authorities. The BOC said none of the seized products were claimed.

The Inter-Agency Task Force has been conducting inspections since last year in a bid to help local farmers through eliminating smuggled agricultural products in the market.

DA Inspector Officer Serapio Garabiles, Jr. questioned the importation of the products, saying the country has sufficient local production.

“Ang ipinagbabawal na i-angkat natin ‘yung mga produkto na mayroon tayong local production tulad nito. Marami naman tayo nito, bakit pa tayo nag-i-import?” he said.

The BOC said it cannot keep all smuggled agricultural products from entering the country despite its rigid inspection conducted in ports, but assured that enforcers will strengthen the campaign against illegal importation. – Report from Gillian Geronimo/KC-ag

Watch the report here:

Popular

No need for PBBM to monitor ICC proceedings vs. FPRRD

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency There is no need for President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to monitor the International Criminal Court’s (ICC)...

Binondo drum murder ‘mastermind’ a Chinese nat’l —Taiwan office in PH

By Brian Campued The alleged mastermind in the so-called Binondo drum murder is a Chinese national, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in the Philippines...

Public warned vs. ash fall as Kanlaon erupts anew

By Brian Campued Authorities advised residents in Negros Oriental and Negros Occidental to be cautious of possible ashfall emitted by Kanlaon Volcano after it erupted...

PBBM focused on governance, no plans yet for 2028 polls —Palace

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. remains unfazed amid Vice President Sara Duterte’s announcement to run for president in 2028, Malacañang said, noting...