Higher COVID-19 positivity rates logged in some areas

The COVID-19 case classification in Quezon City is now at moderate risk amid the rise in the number of COVID-19 cases.

The city’s positivity rate increased to 4% from the 3% last week, while its COVID-19 reproduction rate rose to 2.2.

In the National Capital Region (NCR), the positivity rate also rose from 3.9% on June 18 to 5.6% on June 22, surpassing the benchmark of the World Health Organization (WHO) according to OCTA Research. 

Data also showed that Batangas, Benguet, Cavite, Iloilo, Laguna, and Rizal have recorded an increase in their positivity rates, with Batangas rising to 8.3% from 1.2%.

With these indicators, the OCTA Research said it is only a matter of time that the country’s case classification might go up to moderate risk as well.

“The numbers, while they are still manageable and quite low, are also going up. In NCR, we’re expecting next week to hit anywhere between 400 to 500 cases a day. Nationally, we’re breaching a thousand cases by next week,” Prof. Ranjit Rye, a fellow of OCTA Research said.

Despite the increasing number of cases, OCTA said hospital bed occupancy nationwide remains under safe level at 18.4%.

READ MORE: COVID-19 positivity rate in NCR increases

The public was still reminded to observe health protocols.

“Dahil mild naman ‘yung cases, talaga hindi mapupuno ‘yung ospital natin. Pero hindi ibig sabihing permanenteng hindi mapupuno ‘yan. Pag libo-libo na ‘yung kaso na ‘yan eh, mapupuno din ‘yan at mapupuno,” Rye said. – Report from Mark Fetalco–ag 

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...