Thai tourist victim of alleged extortion by NAIA security personnel

A Thai national was victimized by five security personnel of Ninoy Aquino International Airport for an alleged extortion of money. (Screenshot photo from Piyawat Gunlayaprasit/FB)

A Thai national was victimized at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) after five security personnel allegedly extorted money from him on Feb. 21.

According to Kitja Thabthim, a number of personnel were distracting him by asking him questions after his baggage passed through the airport’s scanner.

The personnel allegedly seized the opportunity to steal money from his wallet after the tourist got distracted.

The victim said he was terrified by the incident, but decided to share the video captured by a fellow Thai national to warn other tourists.

“She also asked me to delete the video, she also asked me not to report it to Manila airport. We say yes, we will not, at that time,” Thabthim said.

The Thai national said he is not sure if he will come back to the country again.

“I don’t know if I think too much, [what] if they put drugs in my bag and call the police. I’m so afraid [at] that time and also angry… but [I] can do nothing. I just think okay, I [flew] from Bangkok to Manila and then I [publicized] this video to let [others] know,” he continued.

The Office of Transportation Security (OTS) said they are already investigating the incident and have suspended the security personnel involved.

“Karamihan sa kanila, because we initially identified our personnel, apat sa kanila ay job order personnel, hired last year, and ‘yung pinaka-senior nila,” OTS Administrator Ma. O Aplasca.

Meanwhile, Senator Grace Poe called the extortion incident “infuriating and embarrassing” for tarnishing the reputation of NAIA.

“Nung nakita ko iyong video na ‘yun, talagang nakakagalit at nakakahiya,” Poe said.

“Isa na naman[g] problema ito sa reputasyon ng NAIA at ng ating airports,” she added.

Poe also encouraged the other victims to speak out and file charges against the suspects.

She instructed the NAIA and OTS to submit an incident report. –With reports from Daniel Manalastas & Katrina Gracia Consebido – gb

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...