Filipinos in quake-hit Turkiye promised financial, housing aid

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency

Turkiye had promised financial and housing assistance for its nationals, including Filipinos still in the earthquake-affected areas, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Thursday, March 9.

DFA Undersecretary Eduardo Jose de Vega said about 78 Filipinos are taking shelter at an Embassy-rented dormitory in Ankara while 158 remain in the hard-hit regions.

“Iyong nanatili sa earthquake-affected areas, mga 158 ang nananatili doon. Tapos ngayon, pinapangakuan ng pamahalaan ng Turkiye na bibigyan sila ng financial saka housing assistance,” he said.

The DFA on Wednesday, March 8 repatriated 24 more Filipinos from Turkiye, the second group to be sent home since the deadly earthquake struck the country last month.

The first group of repatriates from Turkiye arrived in the Philippines on Feb. 27.

De Vega said the repatriates received USD200 as initial assistance upon their return.

He said most of the remaining Filipino citizens in Turkiye chose to remain but anyone who wants to return to the Philippines while the country is still in “recovery period” may approach the Embassy for assistance.

“Nandito kami, kung sino ang gustong umuwi, tutulungan namin para makauwi,” he said. “They are safe now, awa ng Diyos, wala namang nadagdag na casualties.” – cf

Popular

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...