Boat trips in Iloilo canceled, over 400 passengers stranded

ILOILO — While operations at the Iloilo International Airport remain normal despite the inclement weather, several boat trips were canceled and more than 400 sea passengers here were stranded Saturday morning, as the entire Western Visayas was placed under storm signal no. 1.

The state weather bureau, Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), said sea travel is risky over the seaboards of areas with tropical cyclone warning signals.

Philippine Coast Guard – Iloilo Commander Lt. Ramil Palabrica said the trip cancelations affected four roll-on-roll-off vessels from Dumangas Port bound for Bacolod City, four fastcraft vessels from Lapuz Port also bound for Bacolod City, and one commercial vessel from Fort San Pedro Terminal bound for Cebu City.

In an interview, Palabrica said the boat trips in northern Iloilo had been canceled for three days in a row, as Tropical Storm Urduja batters the region.

Canceled boat trips were from Ajuy, Iloilo bound for Victorias City, Negros Occidental and Estancia, Iloilo bound for Masbate.
Meanwhile, boats traveling from Iloilo City to Guimaras and vice versa were so far allowed to go on, Palabrica said, as the PCG classified these boats under short-distance voyage.

“The weather is still manageable here, but once it becomes heavy, automatically, we will also cancel these trips,” he said.
However, Palabrica still advised the boat operators to comply with safety requirements, such as providing all passengers with life jackets and ensuring the engines are functioning well.

Palabrica advised the public to be vigilant and secure their safety when traveling, as well.

He also advised small fishermen to avoid venturing out into the sea to avoid the big waves.

In its early morning Saturday bulletin, PAGASA raised tropical cyclone warning signal (TCWS) no. 2 in Sorsogon and Masbate, including Burias, Ticao Islands, Northern Samar, Eastern Samar, Biliran, and Leyte.

TCWS no. 1 was raised over southern Quezon, Marinduque, Romblon, Catanduanes, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Albay, southern Leyte, Cebu, Capiz, Aklan, Antique, Iloilo, Guimaras, Negros Occidental, northern Negros Oriental, northern Bohol, and Dinagat Islands.

Meanwhile, Art Parreńo, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) – Iloilo terminal supervisor, said no flight has been canceled at the Iloilo International Airport.

“Except for pilot’s choice, if they do not want to land, then we cannot do anything about it,” Parrreño said. (Cindy Ferrer/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...