PNP obtains court nod to examine Chinese ‘hacker’ devices

Photos screengrabbed via PTV News

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has 10 days to conduct a forensic examination on the gadgets and other devices seized from a Chinese national who was apprehended in Makati City last month.

This came after the Quezon City Regional Trial Court 90 issued a warrant to examine computer data (WECD) on the equipment seized from Yuhang Liu.

“We have turned over [these equipment] to the ACG (Anti-Cybercrime Group), specifically to the digital forensic unit of that office for examination,” Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) chief Maj. Gen. Leo Francisco said in a press briefing in Camp Crame, Quezon City.

“So the process is after the examination, the ACG will provide us the result. But if 10 days will not suffice, we will apply for additional time for this examination.”

The equipment includes three mobile phones, one radio receiver/transmitter, one Huawei router, one Apple tablet, an Honor laptop, an aerial drone, an inverter unit, a computer central processing unit, and other computer accessories.

Francisco said the suspect is currently detained at the CIDG – National Capital Region pending a court order on his transfer to the PNP Custodial Center in Camp Crame.

Liu was arrested on May 29 in Barangay San Isidro in response to a gun-toting complaint.

The complainant said Liu coerced him into delivering unidentified communication hacking devices to the suspect’s residence.

This equipment would allegedly be placed in vital installations to hack or access mobile phones’ international mobile equipment identities.

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...