Death toll from 2 typhoons, ‘habagat’ rises to 36

BLESS THE CHILDREN. Two boys walk on a muddy street in Tumana, Marikina City on Friday (July 26, 2024). The community is among those hardest hit by the massive Metro Manila flooding two days earlier. (Photo courtesy of Joan Bondoc/PNA)

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

The fatalities from the combined effects of the southwest monsoon (habagat) and Typhoons Butchoy and Carina rose to 36, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported on Monday, July 26.

According to the agency’s latest situation update, the figure includes 14 validated deaths – five in Calabarzon, four in Zamboanga Peninsula, two in Central Luzon, and one each in Northern Mindanao, Davao Region, and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).

Still undergoing confirmation are 22 deaths – 15 in the National Capital Region (NCR), five in Calabarzon, and one each in Ilocos Region and BARMM.

The NDRRMC also confirmed reports of two injured in Northern Mindanao, while reports of another four hurt in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), along with two missing persons in Ilocos Region and one in Northern Mindanao, are still being validated.

A total of 1,240,090 families or 4,553,752 persons residing in 3,854 barangays across the country have so far been affected.

Around 38,292 families or 152,800 individuals are being aided in 848 evacuation centers, while another 134,235 families or 641,944 persons are being aided outside.

Some 1,598 damaged houses were recorded in 15 regions.

Meanwhile, the damage to infrastructure and agriculture was estimated at P1.69 billion and P355.6 million, respectively.

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...