DA still confident vaccine vs. ASF works despite 5 dead hogs in Lobo

ASF VACCINE ROLLOUT. The Department of Agriculture-Bureau of Animal Industry begins its first government-controlled vaccination against African swine fever (ASF) in Barangay Malapad na Parang, Lobo, Batangas on Friday (August 30, 2024). Lobo is one of the first towns in Batangas which declared a state of calamity due to ASF resurgence earlier this month. (Photo courtesy of Clay Pardilla/PTV News)

By Brian Campued

The Department of Agriculture (DA) expressed confidence in the efficacy of the vaccine against African swine fever (ASF) after five fatalities were recorded among vaccinated hogs in Lobo, Batangas last month.

In an interview, DA Assistant Secretary Dante Palabrica clarified that only one of the two initial farms in Barangay Malapad na Parang in Lobo town showed adverse effects.

The deaths were registered out of the 12 vaccinated pigs in the farm last August 30.

“Iyong baboy, although negative sa ASF blood test dahil ’yon ang polisiya natin, ay nagpakita ng respiratory problem. At ibig sabihin, ang body niya ay compromised na—para bang tinatawag na may premorbidity,” Palabrica said.

“Hindi pa naka-build up ng antibody iyong mga baboy. Limang araw, anim na araw, pitong araw ay bumagsak iyong baboy… at napakataas ng infection pressure (sa area),” he added.

Meanwhile, the other farm where 29 heads were vaccinated reported no fatalities.

“Lahat ay apparently healthy, walang patay, walang comorbidity… ibig sabihin walang nanghina. Huwag tayong mag-knee jerk reaction sa lilimang baboy,” Palabrica stressed.

According to Palabrica, it would take seven to 14 days for vaccinated hogs to develop at least 40% immune system response against ASF, while 28 days for them to develop 90% immune response.

“I will reiterate, I’m still confident that the vaccine will work,” he said.

The DA said that it will continue to observe all the pigs they will vaccinate as the government-controlled trial is set to be expanded to other “red zone” areas in Luzon as well as in Visayas and Mindanao.

In a statement Tuesday, Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. instructed the Bureau of Animal Industry to allot an initial 150,000 doses of AVAC live vaccines to La Union, Quezon, Mindoro, North Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, and Cebu. (with report from Cleizl Pardilla/PTV News)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...