Comelec withdraws petition to disqualify CDO candidate

Commission on Elections (Comelec) logo. (Background photo courtesy of Comelec)

By Nef Luczon | Philippine News Agency

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has withdrawn its petition to disqualify one of the congressional candidates in Cagayan de Oro City.

In a motion filed Wednesday, the Comelec Law Department sought to withdraw its motu proprio petition to disqualify Rainier Joaquin Uy, a candidate for First District representative in the 2025 elections. The motion was submitted to the Comelec Second Division in Manila.

The Law Department explained in its filing that new information relevant to the case had been received, warranting further investigation and reassessment.

The petition stemmed from an alleged irregular increase in voters in District 1, particularly in Barangay Carmen, where Uy currently serves as chairperson.

Alan Genoso, one of Uy’s lawyers, welcomed the Comelec’s motion, emphasizing the importance of fairness and due process in the electoral process.

“From the very start, we called for the facts and evidence to prevail. We will remain focused on delivering meaningful service and moving forward together for the progress of Cagayan de Oro,” Genoso said.

Uy, who lost to incumbent Rep. Lordan Suan in the 2022 elections, is set to challenge Suan again in 2025.

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...