NMC: China’s ‘seizure’ of Sandy Cay ‘clear example of disinformation’

The Philippines also raised its flag on Sandy Cay to assert its sovereign rights over the area. (Photo courtesy: NTF-WPS)

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency

The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday slammed China’s disinformation activities by announcing that it has taken control of Sandy Cay (Pag-asa Cay 2), a sandbar near Pag-asa Island and within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone.

In a statement, the NMC lamented that the Chinese government is using its state-controlled media to sow disinformation “to mislead its own people and the international community about the continuing illegality of its activities in the West Philippine Sea.”

“The alleged seizure of Pag-asa Cay 2 (Sandy Cay), an integral part of the Philippine national territory in the West Philippine Sea, was a clear example of the disinformation activities of the Chinese government, where it made it appear that China has effective control of the cay by displaying its flag and conducting waste collection,” it said.

“The Philippines is firm in protecting its vast maritime domain, and is unwavering in fighting false allegations that detract from the country’s lawful exercise of its sovereignty, sovereign rights and jurisdiction,” the NMC added.

The NMC said the degradation of the environment around Pag-asa Island and its cays was largely caused by the constant illegal swarming of Chinese vessels in the area and the damaging impact of China’s massive artificial island-building in Zamora Reef (Subi Reef), a low-tide elevation that forms part of the territorial sea of Pag-asa Island and its cays.

It urged China to comply with its obligations under international law, particularly the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea and the 2016 South China Sea Arbitral Award.

It also called for the proper implementation of the 2002 Declaration of the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea.

“The Philippines will consistently pursue peaceful means for resolving disputes and constructive approaches to managing differences, while also continuing its lawful and routine activities in the West Philippine Sea, consistent with its maritime entitlements under international law,” the NMC said.

Based on the earlier reports of Beijing’s state media, the China Coast Guard “implemented maritime control” over Sandy Cay last month.

Sandy Cay, also known as the Pag-asa Cay 2, is one of the sandbars situated west of Pag-asa Island in the Kalayaan Island Group of the Philippines.

China lays claim on the maritime feature, calling it Tiexian Jiao.

The Philippine Navy, the Philippine Coast Guard, and the Philippine National Police – Maritime Group conducted a routine visit to Sandy Cay and the surrounding waters of Cay 1 and Cay 3 on Monday to counter China’s narrative.

The Philippines also raised its flag on Sandy Cay to assert its sovereign rights over the area.

Popular

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...

PBBM assures bigger funding for socio-civic projects, sustained rice aid for Filipinos

By Brian Campued “Kapag sinabi nating bawat bayan; bawat pamilya, walang maiiwan.” As part of the administration’s commitment to bringing government services and assistance directly to...

ADB commits addt’l funding to support PH gov’t efforts amid Mideast conflict

By Brian Campued The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has committed $1.75 billion in additional financing to support the Philippine government’s efforts in managing fiscal pressures...