Proclamation of 12 winning senators set May 17 – Comelec

RECORD VOTER TURNOUT. Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairperson George Erwin Garcia (center) leads a press briefing at the Tent City of the Manila Hotel on Thursday (May 15, 2025). On Friday (May 16), Garcia said winning senators and party-list groups will be proclaimed on May 17 and 19, respectively. (Photo courtesy: Yancy Lim / PNA)

By Ferdinand Patinio | Philippine News Agency

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is set to proclaim the 12 winning senators on Saturday, five days after the May 12 midterm elections.

In a press briefing on Friday, Comelec Chairperson George Garcia said the proclamation is scheduled at the Tent City of the Manila Hotel at 3:00 p.m.

“We are just waiting for the formal recommendation of the supervisory committee. We were informed they will recommend the proclamation of 12 winning senatorial candidates based on yesterday’s (Thursday) ranking. We will have the proclamation by 3:00 p.m. tomorrow (Saturday),” the Comelec chair said.

Garcia said each member of the Commission en banc will be given the chance to proclaim the winning senators starting from 12th place down to the one who got the highest votes,”Each commissioner will be reading the certificate of proclamation of each and every candidate.”

Each senator-elect is allowed to bring along 10 to 15 guests and are given five minutes each to deliver their speeches.

“We will start distributing the invitations to the winning senatorial candidates. And maybe 10 to 15 guests will be allowed to each winning senatorial candidate. This is more compared to the past. It used to be only five. This is their moment,” Garcia said.

On the other hand, the Comelec is looking at proclaiming the winning party-list groups on May 19.

“We will come up with [a] resolution regarding allocation of seats for the party-list. That will be read in the proclamation of the party-list this coming Monday,” Garcia said.

The Commission en banc, sitting as the National Board of Canvassers, completed the canvassing of all 175 certificates of canvass, both local and overseas, on Thursday.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...