Palace to complainants vs. B.I. chief: Support allegations with evidence

B.I. COMPLAINTS. Malacañang on Tuesday (June 10, 2025) urged individuals accusing Bureau of Immigration (BI) Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado of wrongdoings to submit concrete evidence, not just anonymous complaints or so-called white papers. During a press briefing, Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the Department of Justice (DOJ) will look into the anonymous letter, as ordered by President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. (Photo courtesy: BI)

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency

Malacañang on Tuesday urged individuals accusing Bureau of Immigration (BI) Commissioner Joel Anthony Viado of wrongdoings to submit concrete evidence, not just anonymous complaints or so-called white papers.

During a press briefing, Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the Department of Justice (DOJ) will look into the anonymous letter, as ordered by President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., but noted that it would be better if the complaint came with supporting evidence.

The letter, dated June 2 and received by Malacañang, accused Viado of improper handling of cases involving Philippine offshore gaming operators (POGOs), banned by Marcos last year, and the deportation of illegal foreign workers.

The complainants, who chose to remain anonymous citing fear of retaliation, claimed that “if left unaddressed, [the issues] could lead to significant corruption problems, potentially tarnishing the image of the administration.”

Castro, a lawyer, stressed that government agencies cannot act on anonymous letters alone.

“Mahirap po na white paper lang at walang pinanghahawakang anumang ebidensiya or isinusumite dahil mauubos po ang oras ng DOJ kung puro white paper lamang po ang kanilang pagtutuunan ng pansin,” she said.

The Palace official encouraged complainants to come forward with documentation, even anonymously.

“So, hinihikayat po kung mayroon po talaga kayong reklamo kahit hindi na po kayo magpakilala ibigay ninyo lang po iyong ebidensiya para po mayroon naman pong dahilan para magkaroon nang mas malalim na pag-iimbestiga,” she said.

The President earlier said the government would not ignore the contents of the complaint letter despite its lack of signatures and specific details.

Popular

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...