15 cops in ‘missing sabungeros’ case now under ‘restrictive’ custody

Photo screengrab from PNP/FB

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III said that the 15 police officers linked to the disappearance of “sabungeros” (cockfight aficionados) are now under restrictive custody at Camp Crame in Quezon City.

“We have partnered with Napolcom (National Police Commission) for the in-depth investigation of this case to ensure transparency and impartiality and to ensure the ends of justice will be achieved,” Torre said in a press briefing at Camp Crame this Monday, July 7.

Torre said the 15 police officers, including a lieutenant colonel, are being investigated for both criminal and administrative cases. He said the probe will not only focus on 15 police officers, but others, depending on the outcome of the investigation.

“As I have said earlier, hindi tayo tumitigil sa 15 [police officers]. May mga ibang personalities na na-identify as the investigation goes on,” the PNP top brass said.

“These incidents are grisly, not acceptable by any standards and that’s why we have firm resolve to solve this,” he added.

Torre said when he was still the chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG), whistleblower Julie “Dondon” Patidongan, alias “Totoy,” had already started communicating with the police. However, he opted not to give details of how Patidongan approached the CIDG.

“What is important now is to give justice to the victims and to cleanse the organization of these kinds of personnel,” the PNP’s top official declared.

Aside from the Taal Lake where some of the missing sabungeros were supposedly dumped, Torre said they have been receiving reports that there are other modes of disposal used in getting rid of their remains.

“Based on our information, Taal is not the only place of disposal. We are looking into other places as a disposal area of the missing victims,” Torre said.

Earlier, Patidongan claimed that business tycoon Charlie “Atong” Ang had something to do with the disappearance and killings of the sabungeros. He also claimed that several police officers, who are under the payroll of Ang, played key roles in the disappearances of the cockfighters.

Ang denied the allegations and filed charges against Patidongan on July 3 for the latter’s supposed attempt to extort P300 million from him. (PNA)

Popular

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...