
By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Tuesday reiterated its stance against hazing, physical abuse, and all forms of degrading treatment.
“The AFP is a professional institution built on discipline, integrity, and respect for human dignity. We do not and will never tolerate hazing, physical abuse, maltreatment or any form of degrading treatment,” the AFP said in a statement.
The military issued the statement following the death of 22-year-old rookie soldier Pvt. Charlie Patigayon in Maguindanao del Norte last week.
Patigayon was reportedly undergoing reception rites with other soldiers at the 6th Infantry Battalion headquarters in Barangay Capiton, Datu Odin Sinsuat when he collapsed on July 30 and died the following day.
Reception rites are a series of exercises new soldiers are instructed to do when reporting to their units.
Two officers and 19 enlisted personnel have already been relieved from their posts following Patigayon’s death, which is already under investigation.
The AFP said Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr., its chief of staff, has already issued a “clear and uncompromising directive” to all units to uphold the highest standards of military conduct and discipline and reject all forms of hazing, physical abuse, maltreatment, and degrading treatment.
“The AFP remains fully committed to cultivating a culture of professionalism, mutual respect, and accountability. All personnel, regardless of rank or tenure, must be treated with dignity in every setting whether in training, duty, ceremonies, or daily interactions,” it said.