PH Army probes rookie soldier’s death during reception rites

Photo courtesy: Philippine Army

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

The Philippine Army (PA) is investigating the death of a rookie soldier, supposedly during reception rites at his unit in Maguindanao del Norte last week, an official said Monday.

In a message to reporters, PA spokesperson Col. Louie Dema-ala said two officers and 19 enlisted personnel have been relieved amid the ongoing investigation.

According to reports, Pvt. Charlie Patigayon, 22, was undergoing reception rites with other soldiers at the 6th Infantry Battalion headquarters in Barangay Capiton, Datu Odin Sinsuat when he collapsed on July 30. Patigayon, a native of Kolambugan, Lanao del Norte, died the following day.

Reception rites are a series of exercises new soldiers are instructed to do when reporting to their units.

“We assure Pvt. Patigayon’s family that the PA is committed to pursuing justice,” Dema-ala said in a statement.

“Should the investigation confirm wrongdoing, those responsible will be held fully accountable under the military justice system and all applicable laws,” he added.

The Army spokesperson stressed that in compliance with the Anti-Hazing Act of 2018, the PA “upholds a zero-tolerance policy against any practices that endanger the safety and well-being of its personnel.”

Aside from pursuing justice, Dema-ala said the PA is also providing all the necessary assistance and support to Patigayon’s family.


“While no form of compensation can ever replace the life of a soldier, we are committed to honoring Pvt. Patigayon’s service and to (ease) the burden on his loved ones,” he said. (PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...