D.A. pushes for higher rice import tariff, halt on rice imports

By Anna Leah Gonzales | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Agriculture (D.A.) is pushing for the temporary suspension of rice importation and an increase in tariffs on imported rice, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Secretary Dave Gomez said Monday.

Last week, the D.A. said it is pushing for a modest increase in tariffs on imported rice to at least 25 percent from the current 15 percent.

“The Department of Agriculture is recommending an increase in tariffs on imported rice and a temporary halt to importation to protect local farmers,” Gomez said.

The Cabinet would discuss the matter with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. in India on the sidelines of his state visit.

The D.A.’s measure is part of the Marcos Jr. administration’s target to gradually revert to the original 35 percent tariff on imported rice, a year after the implementation of reduced duties to help lower soaring retail rice prices. (PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...