Israel vows to destroy Gaza City if Hamas doesn’t disarm, free hostages

HUMANITARIAN CRISIS. Palestinian men and boys hold out their empty pots in front of a charity kitchen in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on Aug. 21, 2025. Israel heavily restricts aid coming into Gaza but has repeatedly rejected claims of deliberate starvation. (Photo courtesy: AFP)

By Agence France-Presse

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz vowed Friday to destroy Gaza City if Hamas did not agree to disarm, release all remaining hostages in the territory, and end the war on Israel’s terms.

“Soon, the gates of hell will open upon the heads of Hamas’ murderers and rapists in Gaza—until they agree to Israel’s conditions for ending the war, primarily the release of all hostages and their disarmament,” the minister posted on social media.

“If they do not agree, Gaza, the capital of Hamas, will become Rafah and Beit Hanoun,” he added, referring to two cities in Gaza largely razed during previous Israeli operations.

The statement came after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said late Thursday that he had ordered immediate negotiations aimed at freeing all the remaining hostages in Gaza.

Netanyahu added that the push to release the hostages would accompany the operation to take control of Gaza City and destroy the Hamas stronghold.

Later Friday, the Rome-based Integrated Food Security Phase Classification Initiative was set to release its latest figures regarding hunger in Gaza.

Ahead of the report’s release, United States ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee preemptively attacked its findings.

“You know who IS starving? The hostages kidnapped and tortured by uncivilized Hamas savages,” he wrote on X.

“Maybe the overfed terrorists could share some of their warehouse full they stole with hungry people, especially the hostages.”

IN RUINS. This picture taken from a position on Israel’s border with the Gaza Strip, shows destroyed buildings in the besieged Palestinian territory, at sunset on Aug. 21, 2025. Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz vowed Friday, Aug. 22, to destroy Gaza City if Hamas did not agree to disarm, release all remaining hostages in the territory, and end the war on Israel’s terms. (Photo courtesy: Jack GUEZ / AFP)

‘Hand in hand’

Earlier this week, the Israeli defense ministry authorized the call-up of roughly 60,000 reservists to help seize Gaza City.

“These two matters—defeating Hamas and releasing all our hostages—go hand in hand,” Netanyahu said in a video statement on Thursday, without providing details about what the next stage of talks would entail.

The UN humanitarian agency has warned that the Israeli plan to expand military operations in Gaza City would have “a horrific humanitarian impact” on an already exhausted population.

Mediators have been waiting for days for an official Israeli response to their latest ceasefire proposal, which Hamas accepted earlier this week.

Palestinian sources have said the new deal involves staggered hostage releases, while Israel has insisted that any deal must include the freeing of all the captives at once.

Israel’s plans to expand the fighting and seize Gaza City have sparked an international outcry as well as domestic opposition.

Hamas’s October 2023 attack on Israel that sparked the war resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.

Of the 251 hostages seized during the attack, 49 are still in Gaza, including 27 the Israeli military says, are dead.

Israel’s offensive has killed at least 62,192 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza that the United Nations considers reliable.

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...