
By Brian Campued
As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various sectors and communities, the Department of Agriculture (D.A.) on Friday began the rollout of P20 per kilo rice for fisherfolk and fishery workers.
During the program launch at the Navotas Fish Port, Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu-Laurel Jr. reiterated the government’s goal to provide Filipinos access to affordable and quality food while also helping ease the burden of “those who feed the nation”.
“Ito talaga ‘yong tinututukan ng ating Presidente, halos linggo-linggo nagre-report kami sa kaniya sa progress ng expansion natin ng 20 piso na bigas,” Laurel said.
Aside from the Navotas Fish Port, the BBM Na Program also opened at Sual Fish Port in Pangasinan and the Lucena Fish Port Complex in Quezon Province.
Similar to the mechanism implemented for the program rollout for farmers earlier this August, fisherfolk and fishery workers listed under the Registry System for Basic Sectors of Agriculture (RSBSA) are eligible to buy the subsidized rice.
Fisherfolk may purchase up to 10 kilos of rice per month by presenting their RSBSA or FishR IDs, or a valid QR code from the online registration system.

Meanwhile, Laurel announced that their agency is also working with the Department of Transportation (DOTr) to roll out the P20/kg rice program for jeepney and tricycle drivers starting Sept. 16 in five pilot areas, including Navotas City.
The D.A. said it is also finalizing a QR code system to better track purchases made by beneficiaries.
The “Benteng Bigas” initiative was first introduced to solo parents, senior citizens, persons with disabilities, and beneficiaries of Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program—and has since expanded to include minimum wage earners and rice farmers.
The D.A. is also finalizing plans to include beneficiaries of the Department of Social Welfare and Development’s Walang Gutom Program under the BBM Na Program’s expansion.
To date, rice at P20 per kilo is available at 212 Kadiwa ng Pangulo sites nationwide, benefitting around 500,000 beneficiaries.
Pursuant to the President’s directive, the government aims to reach 15 million households under the program by 2026. (with report from Bernard Ferrer / PTV News)