Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

Photo courtesy: PCO

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet

Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th State of the Nation Address in July, which includes an onsite inspection of said structures in Bulacan and Benguet and a foiled bribery attempt against a neophyte lawmaker, Malacañang condemned a murder attempt on a contractor in Negros Oriental last week amid a probe into these flawed flood mitigation projects.

Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. tasked the Philippine National Police (PNP) to heighten peace and order measures following this incident.

Castro said, “Tama lang po na imbestigahan iyan para malaman natin ang puno’t dulo niya at kinukondena natin ang mga karahasan na ito.” 

She added, “At ipag-uutos pa rin ng Pangulo na dapat seryosohin ito lalo na ng mga PNP para maiwasan kung anumang krimen ang maidudulot nito kaugnay sa pag-iimbestiga sa flood control projects.”

The victim, identified as 58-year-old engineer and contractor Angelito Mendoza, sustained gunshot wounds after being shot by yet unidentified motorcycle-riding suspects while en route to a quarry site in Santa Catalina, Negros Oriental.

Persons of interest were already identified by the authorities, but the police declined to disclose their identities in light of an ongoing investigation.

Bolstering national security

Castro, meanwhile, provided reassurance to the masses that the government is on top of matters concerning national security, with domestic security forces adequately equipped to neutralize threats posed by foreign “sleeper giants” or spies.

The Palace Press briefer reiterated the National Security Council’s (NSC) statement on the matter after Senator Panfilo Lacson disclosed the alleged operations of many Chinese sleeper agents in the country.

Castro told reporters, “We cannot go into specifics for security reasons, but we can assure the public that our security forces are actively monitoring and addressing these threats. The government does not take espionage lightly, and we act swiftly when credible intelligence is verified.”

She emphasized, further quoting the NSC, “Recent operations have already led to the arrest of suspected foreign operatives, which shows that our agencies are not standing still. We are working closely with law enforcement and intelligence units to dismantle espionage networks wherever they may be.”

av

Popular

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...