‘Tino,’ ‘Uwan,’ 5 others delisted from PAGASA’s typhoon names roster

DECOMMISSIONED. A satellite image of Typhoon Tino as it wreaked havoc in Visayas and Mindanao in November 2025. On Thursday (March 19, 2026), PAGASA announced the removal of Tino, along with six other tropical cyclones in 2025, from its roster of names used every four years. (Photo courtesy: DOST-PAGASA/Cebu PIO/FILE)

By Brian Campued

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) on Thursday announced the removal of seven tropical cyclone names used in 2025 from its list due to their extreme damage to people and property.

In a press release, PAGASA said it is delisting Crising, Emong, Mirasol, Nando, Opong, Tino, and Uwan from its regular roster.

A local tropical cyclone name is decommissioned or removed from the list if it directly caused at least 300 deaths or P1 billion in damage to agriculture, infrastructure, and other assets, as per data from the Office of Civil Defense (OCD).

“Due to the exceptional magnitude and extent of the devastation they caused, these seven tropical cyclones in 2025 have met the criteria for decommissioning,” PAGASA said.

Citing data from the OCD, PAGASA noted that the weather disturbances resulted in a total of 373 fatalities, 680 injuries, 132 missing persons, and a combined cost of damage amounting to over P36 billion.

Tino (international name: Kalmaegi) devastated Visayas and Mindanao in November 2025, affecting over 5.4 million individuals and resulting in 253 deaths, 502 injuries, and 119 missing individuals—becoming the deadliest tropical cyclone to hit the country last year.

Based on the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council’s (NDRRMC) situational report dated Nov. 26, 2025, the estimated cost of damage to infrastructure and agriculture due to Tino was more than P770 million and P562 million, respectively.

Another notable tropical cyclone last year was Uwan (Fung-Wong), which reached the super typhoon category as it battered Luzon shortly after Tino, leaving over 7.9 million persons affected and resulting in over P2.6 billion and P2.1 billion in damages to infrastructure and agriculture, respectively.

The seven decommissioned names from the 2025 season will be replaced by Chico, Elias, Magyawan, Nilad, Omar, Tala, and Urbano starting in 2029, since PAGASA utilizes four sets of tropical cyclone names that are used alternately or every four years.

For 2026, the list of tropical cyclones are: Ada, Basyang, Caloy, Domeng, Ester, Francisco, Gardo, Henry, Inday, Josie, Kiyapo, Luis, Maymay, Neneng, Obet, Pilandok, Queenie, Rosal, Samuel, Tomas, Umberto, Venus, Waldo, Yayang, and Zeny.

The names Ada, Francisco, Kiyapo, and Pilandok replaced Agaton (Megi), Florita (Ma-On), Karding (Noru), and Paeng (Nalgae)—tropical cyclones that lashed the country in 2022 and were subsequently decommissioned by PAGASA.

-jpv

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...