QC court orders oral arguments for Sara’s grave threats indictment

(PNA photo by Joan Bondoc/FILE)

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency

The Quezon City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 98 has ordered oral arguments in the grave threats case filed by the Department of Justice (DOJ) against Vice President Sara Duterte-Carpio.

In an order dated Aug. 17, the RTC said it “deems it prudent to set the instant case for hearing and oral arguments” on Aug. 20 at 8:30 a.m.

Duterte’s defense counsel earlier filed a motion for oral arguments on their pending plea to recall the arrest warrant and to quash grave threats charges.

The DOJ filed the grave threats case against the Vice President on Aug. 11, following her claim during an online press briefing in November last year that she had contracted assassins to kill President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos, and then-House Speaker Martin Romualdez if she were killed.

Duterte’s camp claimed in its motion that the case would have “serious, far-reaching and dangerous consequences” for the country’s legal system, arguing that it involves the criminal prosecution of the vice president, who is an impeachable officer under the Constitution.

The Vice President faces an impeachment trial in the Senate, with threat as one of the four charges against her.

Other articles of impeachment are misuse of confidential funds, bribery, and unexplained wealth.

Prosecutors recommended bail at P120,000 for the Vice President’s temporary liberty. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...