PNP pilots ‘Southern Storm’ security, disaster exercise in Davao

DAVAO CITY — The police-led interagency security and disaster plan with simulation exercises dubbed as “Southern Storm” was launched here to determine the readiness of the government to respond to a crisis, such as terrorism, law enforcement, and insurgency.

Philippine National Police (PNP) Deputy Director General for Operations Camilo Pancratius Cascolan said Davao City was chosen as the pilot area of the PNP because it was not only the hometown of President Rodrigo Duterte, but also the high-level threat in Mindanao.
“So we make it a pilot area as central of Mindanao,” Cascolan said in an interview after he made a presentation before the City Council regular session on Tuesday.

But Cascolan pointed out the project is of national scope. PNP will also launch it in the National Capital Region (NCR) then Cebu in the Visayas and back in Mindanao.

He said this was a brainchild of PNP Chief Ronald dela Rosa.

This will determine the interoperability of the police organization.

The project has components to include the Crisis Response System where there will be simulation exercises in several areas towards the last week of the month or first week of February.

In Davao, it will be conducted in many areas and the PNP will be using the facilities of Central 911.

The Mindanao exercise is composed of the anti-criminality program, crime intervention and solution, internal cleansing, information operation, security measures, and contingency planning.

The Southern Storm simulation exercise will be at end of the coordination and implementation of the project.

Cascolan said he had already presented this to Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, who supported the initiative.

Asked about the difference of the simulation exercise to other interagency drills conducted by the PNP, the Armed Forces of the Philippines, Cascolan said this would involve role-playing.

He said there would be actors playing the role of mayor, councilors, other heads of agencies to determine how they respond to crisis especially in terror incidents.

“This is also to plan counter-terrorism strategy, including senior decision-making, operational and tactical responses,” Cascolan said.

He said this would gauge the level of understanding, response, and readiness of all those involved. This would also help authorities identify gaps, weaknesses, and find ways to improve response system of the government.

“This is also to plan counter-terrorism strategy, including senior decision-making, operational and tactical responses,” he added.

For this exercise, Cascolan will be the overall supervising officer. He will be supported by Chief Supt. Rene Pamuspusan, as the deputy supervisor, Chief Supt. Nestor Bergonia as the team leader of the Blue Team and Chief Supt. William Macavinta for the Red team. Each team has its own responsibilities. (Lilian C. Mellejor/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...