Another ASG member linked to plantation raid nabbed

ZAMBOANGA CITY — Government security forces have arrested an alleged bomber of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) involved in the kidnapping and killing of plantation workers 16 years ago in Basilan, a top police official announced Tuesday.

The suspect was so far the ninth ASG member involved in the plantation workers’ kidnapping the authorities have apprehended since January 1 this year in this city.

Chief Supt. Billy Beltran, Police Regional Office-9 (PRO-9) director, identified the arrested ASG member as Abdulhan Ataram, who carries the aliases of Sauman Usman, Fraser, Abu Jar, Jarin, Abu Salman.

Beltran said Ataram was arrested at around 6 p.m. Monday at the historical Plaza Pershing, located a stone throw away from City Hall downtown.

He said Ataram was a member of the ASG’s Special Operations Group under ASG leader Isnilon Hapilon, who was killed in the Marawi City siege in October 2017.

He said that Ataram had standing warrant of arrest for the crime of kidnapping and serious illegal detention, murder, multiple frustrated murders and multiple attempted murders.

He said the cases filed against Ataram stemmed from his involvement in the kidnapping of 15 workers on June 11, 2001 at the Golden Harvest Plantation in Barangay Tairan, Lantawan, Basilan.

The ASG executed by beheading five of the 15 workers while remaining 10 had either escaped or rescued by pursuing military forces.

Beltran said Ataram was also involved in the October 5, 2007 bombing along Quezon Boulevard, Kidapawan City.

Ataram was the ninth ASG member involved in the kidnapping of plantation workers to be arrested by police authorities this year in this city.

The others were identified as Mudrim Isnani, Emran Ismael, Bryan Mohammad, Puyat Saiyadi, Faizal Sariul, Rabulat Balito, Isa Sampang and Paisar Sampang.

They were identified by the witnesses who were under the WPSBP of the Department of Justice (DOJ). (PNA)

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...