Dumaguete traffic ‘Discipline Zone’ takes off

DUMAGUETE CITY – The so-called “Discipline Zone” for the enforcement of traffic laws, rules and regulations in Dumaguete City, is already in full swing following a test run the past seven days.

On Thursday, a motorcade signaled the start of its implementation, with officials of the city government, the Philippine National Police (PNP), the Highway Patrol Group (HPG), the city’s Special Enforcement Unit, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) city office, Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), and the Land Transportation Office (LTO), among others, in attendance.

Dumaguete City police chief, Supt. Jonathan Pineda, announced Thursday that the Discipline Zone, which covers the stretch of the national highway from Barangay Buñao in the north to the south national road fronting Robinsons Place shopping mall, will be cleared of vehicles that are illegally parked.

There will be at least sectors with mobile composite teams that will ensure that the public will cooperate with authorities in terms of observing traffic laws, rules, and regulations, he said.

Starting Friday, violators will already be penalized and shall be issued either citation tickets from the city or Temporary Operators’ Permit (TOP) by the LTO or the HPG, whose personnel are LTO-deputized agents, Pineda said.

He assured that there will be no vacuum left in regular police operations as there are other agencies/offices that are taking part in the Discipline Zone implementation.

Violators on Thursday were given a stern warning as part of the information campaign but on Friday, there will be no more considerations given, the police chief said.

If the project succeeds within the next three months or so, then the authorities will fan out to other areas in the city, he added. (Mary Judaline Partlow/PNA)

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...