Cebu motorist goes into hiding after shooting wheel clamp

CEBU CITY — An enraged motorist indiscriminately fired a gun after his vehicle was clamped by elements of the City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) in Barangay Carreta on Thursday here.

The incident happened around 9 a.m. along General Maxilom Avenue in front of the Cebu City Health Office (CCHO) where the motorist’s vehicle was parked in a “No Parking Zone”.

The 27-year-old motorist identified as Milbert Destreza, however, eluded arrest as he then boarded a motorcycle for hire or “habal-habal” after firing shots at the clamping device.

Destreza reportedly parked his white Honda City car with temporary license plate number DV9713 in front of the CCHO, and the Citom officers patrolling area clamped the vehicle as it was in a “No Parking Zone” and in violation of City Ordinance No. 1664.

Citom traffic enforcer Donald Rivera clamped the illegally-parked vehicle and when Destreza saw the clamp on his car, he pulled out his gun and fired two shots at the device.

Officers from the Mobile Patrol Group and the Special Weapons and Tactic arrived at the scene but Destreza had already fled the area.

Destreza’s car was then towed to the Cebu City Transportation Office’s impounding area at the South Road Properties (SRP), while Rivera and his fellow Citom enforcers went to the Mabolo Police Station to report the incident.

Police Traffic Division chief Supt. Conrado Manatad said they will be filing charges for illegal discharge of firearm and malicious mischief against Destreza should the suspect fail to give himself up to the authorities within 24 hours. (Michelle Bugtai/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...