Davao’s tribal village still awes locals, foreign visitors

DAVAO CITY – The tribal village here that features the city’s 11 tribes inside the Magsaysay Park has continued to awe locals and foreign visitors.

City Tourism Chief Generose Tecson said that for the month of January alone, close to 10,000 foreign and domestic tourists visited the tribal village, which has become an attraction since it was introduced as one of the highlights during the Kadayawan sa Dabaw in August last year.

The tribal village was re-opened weeks after the Kadayawan and since then, it has become a popular attraction.

Tecson said the latest visitors were the 250 Filipino-Canadian tourists who were amazed to see the 11 tribes and their handicrafts were sold out. She said whenever there are foreign visitors they would request to bring them to the tribal village.

“It only shows that people are interested to know more about our culture as well as the customs and tradition of our tribes,” she said.

The tribal village features 11 houses representing each of the 11 tribes of Davao City namely Ata, Klata, Ubo-Manuvo, Matigsalog, Tagabawa, Maguindanaoan, Kagan, Iranun, Tausug, Sama and Maranao.

The tribes also hold cultural performances on weekends. Tecson said the city tourism wanted to capacitate the tribes so they could do more things.

“I will request the National Commission for Culture and Arts (NCCA) to conduct lectures and also teach them so they could create performing groups,’ she added.

“Once they are organized we can tap them to perform during events and other activities,” she said. Tecson said the city also wants to help them in their livelihood particularly in upgrading their capabilities on handicraft. (Digna D. Banzon/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...