NegOcc index crime down by 64.42% in first 2 months of 2018

BACOLOD CITY — The Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office (Nocppo) has reported a decrease of 64.42 percent in index crimes and 71.39 percent in non-index crimes in the first two months of 2018 compared to the figures for the same period last year.

Statistics released by the Nocppo on Wednesday showed that for the months of January and February this year, only 185 incidents of index crimes were recorded compared to 551 incidents in 2017.

Index crimes are offenses against persons and properties, including murder, homicide, physical injury, robbery, theft, and rape.

For non-index crimes, which are violations of special laws and ordinances, recorded were 237 incidents in the first two months this year as against 826 incidents last year.

The most common cases include violations of Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 and R.A. 10591 or the Comprehensive Law on Firearms and Ammunition as well as R.A. 9287 for illegal gambling.

Senior Supt. Rodolfo Castil Jr., police provincial director, said the decrease in crime statistics could be attributed to the Negros Occidental police’s massive campaign against criminality through the weekly enhanced managing police operation.

It is also a result of intensified police patrol and visibility operations, and the return of anti-illegal drugs campaign, he added.

Castil also acknowledged the cooperation of Negrenses in the campaign of the Philippine National Police against crimes and terrorism to make the province a safer place to live, work, and do business.

Earlier, the Bacolod City Police Office also reported a decrease of by 27.3 percent in crime incidents during the month of February.

In the past month, total crimes totaled to only 229, or 86 incidents less than last year’s 315 incidents for the same period.

Senior Superintendent Francisco Ebreo, officer-in-charge of BCPO, said the marked decrease in the eight focus crimes could also be attributed to the effective application of enhanced managing police operation. (Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA)

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...