94% of village polls winners proclaimed: Comelec

MANILA — More than 24 hours after the conclusion of Monday’s barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections, over 90 percent of winning candidates have been proclaimed, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) reported.

In a press briefing Tuesday, Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said that as of 1:50 p.m., 94.01 percent of the winners in the polls have been proclaimed.

Regions 3 and 7 — with 3,102 and 3,003 winners respectively — have all been proclaimed.

“Overall, we are nearing completion (in proclaiming all the winners). We are 94 percent, hopefully by 8 p.m. tonight we are done or very close,” the poll body official said.

There are a total of 42,044 barangays in the country.

On Monday afternoon, Comelec acting chairman Al Parreno announced that all polling centers nationwide have opened on election day.

At the same time, Jimenez reported that withdrawals from cash cards of the honoraria and travel allowances of public school teachers, who served as Board of Election Tellers during the elections, have been recorded late Monday evening.

He added that no major problems were recorded except for an early withdrawal before the scheduled polls and wrong typing of PIN.

“On the teachers’ honoraria and allowances, the Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) said as of late evening May 14, there have been withdrawals recorded. So far there are no problem, except in one case there is an early withdrawal before elections and wrong PIN typing,” he said.

Teachers are entitled to the corresponding honoraria: Chairperson of the Electoral Boards, PHP6,000; Members of Electoral Boards, PHP5,000; Department of Education Supervisor Official (DESO), PHP4,000; and Support Staff, PHP2,000.

Likewise, poll workers are entitled to receive PHP1,000 as travel allowance. (PNA)

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...