Police, DepEd declare peaceful school opening in Davao

DAVAO CITY--The Davao City Police Office (DCPO) recorded zero crime incident in schools during the first day of school in Davao City. Traffic conditions, especially near schools, were also normal.

This was reported by DCPO spokesperson Senior Insp. Maria Teresita Gaspan on Monday, adding that the deployment of two police officers in each public school helped maintain the orderly opening of classes.

Gaspan said the police officers have been ordered not just to guard the peace but also to assist both the students and parents.

The Department of Education (DepEd) XI regional office also shared the same observation.

DepEd spokesperson Jenielito Atillo said the opening of classes across the region was smooth despite late enrolment activities in some schools. He said late enrollees will still be accepted by the schools.

Police Regional Office (PRO) XI spokesperson, Chief Insp. Milgrace Driz, said the opening of the classes for public and private school was generally peaceful with no untoward incident reported within established police assistance desks in schools.

Driz said traffic congestions in some areas were immediately addressed by police, traffic enforcers and LGU personnel.

“This has been the result of the cooperation and active support of the community to law enforcement efforts of the PNP,” Driz said.

Davao region has about 1.3 million students in both public and private schools. Davao City has about 364,597 elementary and high school students who returned to school on Monday.

DepEd had earlier projected 1,161,040 public school students. This includes 732,294 public elementary students including kindergarten; 362,836 Junior High School students; and, 65,910 Senior High School students.

There are up to 196,295 private school students in the region including 66, 476 elementary students and kindergarten students, 62,970 Junior High School students and 66,849 Senior High School students. (Lilian C. Mellejor and Rhoda Grace Saron/PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...