Army, Coast Guard speedboats damaged after Masbate port explosion

MASBATE PORT EXPLOSION. Two rescue speedboats of the Philippine Army and the Philippine Coast Guard were damaged when an improvised explosive device exploded at around 12:30 a.m. Monday (September 3, 2018). (Photo courtesy of PNP-PIO V)

LEGAZPI CITY — Two rescue speedboats of the Philippine Army and Philippine Coast Guard were damaged when an improvised explosive device, set up by still unidentified suspects near the Coast Guard office, exploded at the Masbate City Port in Bapor Village, Masbate City, Masbate Monday morning.

Chief Insp. Maria Luisa Calubaquib, spokesperson of the Police Regional Office 5 (Bicol) said no injury was reported.

At around 12:30 a.m. Monday, a loud explosion from the port area was heard by residents in the village, she added.

This was the second time an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded in the port area of Masbate City. Last month, an IED also exploded in the area and damaged two motor boats owned by fishermen.

Masbate City Police headed by Chief of Police Supt. Paul Cabug immediately went to the area to probe the incident.

Police discovered that the Army’s 25-footer rescue speedboat made of fiber glass and Coast Guard’s 25 footer rescue aluminum speedboat and their engines were partially damaged by the explosion.

The speedboats were anchored just near the coast guard station at Masbate’s port area.

Recovered from the blast were orange PVC pipes, which are believed to be part of the IED, and scattered parts of the speedboats.

Calubaquib said police probers are conducting an in-depth investigation into the explosion and the motive of the suspects. (Jorge Hallare/PNA)

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...