Palace calls Sison’s accusation to PRRD ‘downright ludicrous’

MANILA — Malacañang has denied Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founder Joma Sison’s accusation that President Rodrigo Duterte is ‘hell-bent’ on declaring martial law before the 2019 mid-term elections to ensure he stays in power.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Duterte has repeatedly and consistently assured he won’t stay in office a day longer than his term, which will end on June 30, 2022.

He said Dutere has even expressed willingness to cut short his term of office should the proposal to the shift to federalism will be adopted by Congress before 2022.

“The remarks, therefore, of Mr. Jose Ma. Sison that PRRD would declare a nationwide martial law to ensure his stay in power is downright ludicrous,” he said.

Panelo said Sison has been “foisting martial law bogey” for more than a year now as part of his psywar campaign against the Duterte administration.

“All his forecasts have fallen flat on the ground. This just shows that Mr. Sison, who has spent almost three decades of high living in Europe, simply lost his marbles and is already out-of-touch of the political realities in the Philippines,” Panelo said.

Panelo, who is also Chief Presidential Legal Counsel, said martial law can only be proclaimed under the conditions outlined by the Constitution.

“President Duterte has articulated in numerous occasions that he would not impose martial rule unless so required by the command of the Constitution,” he said.

He said Sison has obviously lost the leadership of the communist cadre “as its hardcore leaders have not enforced the pre-conditions agreed upon for the resumption of peace talks”.

“With the lack of support from these leaders who are now woke of their unfair relationship with him, he is now left with just issuing rehash statements from the safe and comfortable environment of his exile,” Panelo said.

Though Mindanao remains under martial law due to last year’s five-month Marawi siege, the Palace had earlier assured that Duterte is not inclined to declare martial law nationwide.

The military had claimed the communists are just trying to create chaos to force Duterte to declare martial law. (Jelly Musico/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...