Negros environment group lauds guv’s ‘coal-free’ stand

BACOLOD CITY — Pro-environment group Green Alert Network (GAN) supported the move of Negros Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. seeking to declare Negros “coal-free” amid the opposition to the proposed coal-fired power plant in San Carlos City.

GAN said in a statement on Tuesday they have been protesting coal energy since it was introduced again in the province in 2010. “We said it then and we still say it now — ‘No to Coal!’” the group said.

GAN called on every Negrense to be good environmental stewards and to support the “No to Coal” in Negros campaign.

Last month, the Diocese of San Carlos headed by Bishop Gerardo Alminaza issued a position paper opposing the construction of a 300-megawatt coal-fired plant proposed by SMC Global Power Holdings Corp. in the northern Negros city.

Alminaza said coal causes pollution and harms human health as he pushed for the development of renewable energy sources.

The bishop also called on the local government of San Carlos and the provincial government of Negros Occidental to disapprove any proposal or application of SMC Global or any company at all for a coal-fired power plant project.

Marañon sent a letter to the Provincial Board last month, asking for the passage of an ordinance declaring Negros Occidental a coal-free, clean-energy and environment-friendly province.

The ordinance seeks to disallow the exploration, establishment, and operation of any coal-fired power plant in the province.

“We promise the people of Negros Occidental that the provincial government, its leaders, offices and staff, are, and will be pursuing a ‘No to any coal-fired power plant in Negros Occidental policy’, as coal-fired power plants and other fossil fuels are scientifically proven to have serious and harmful impacts on the environment and people’s health as well as livelihood,” Marañon said.

Vice Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson said the proposed ordinance has been endorsed to the committees on energy, and environment and natural resources.

Lacson, a former mayor of San Carlos City, however, is non-committal, saying he is keeping an open mind on a coal-fired power plant as an energy source.

“We need to remind the vice governor that the health and safety of the people does not depend on how serious the intent and proposal of San Miguel Corporation (is)…Coal is dirty. Coal is destructive,” Green Alert said.

Negros Occidental is the country’s top producer of solar electricity, with a generation capacity of 341.5 megawatts from five solar power firms, including two in San Carlos City. (Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...