ADB sets USD1.3-B assistance for long-term Mindanao dev’t

By Kris Crismundo – PNA

MANILA — The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has earmarked some USD1.3 billion in financing assistance for the long-term development of southern Philippines.

Apart from the USD408 million worth of loans and grants that the ADB approved as Emergency Assistance for the Reconstruction and Recovery of Marawi last week, ADB Principal Country Specialist for the Philippines Joven Balbosa said the institution has allocated USD1.3 billion for Mindanao under the Country Partnership Strategy.

“In the next three to four years or 5 years, the Philippines Country Partnership Strategy has a pipeline of projects which totals to about USD1.3 billion,” Balbosa said.

He said these projects in Mindanao supported under the Country Partnership Strategy are related to infrastructure, regional development, and investment in people.

Under this assistance, Balbosa said ADB is funding USD300 million for the improvement of road corridors, which is an ongoing development in Mindanao, to build connectivity in the region.

The funding program will also finance the Integrated Flood Risk Management Project that involves three river basins in Mindanao.

The ADB will also support regional development project in Mindanao, eyeing South-Central Mindanao as the first area to be developed under this project.

Balbosa said the funding would likewise develop livable cities in Mindanao.

It will also support other projects such as irrigation development and agro-enterprises development in the southern part of the country.

Balbosa noted that this effort is in line with ADB’s Strategy 2030 that aims to support projects that will reduce poverty, fight climate change, promote rural development, support regional development, advocate gender equality, aid governance and institutions, and develop livable cities.

“We also recognized that to bring about longer lasting peace, it also requires longer-term development,” said ADB Country Director for the Philippines Kelly Bird.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...