GenSan to relocate fire-hit families

By Anna liza Cabrido/ PNA NEWS

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — The city government is pushing for the immediate resettlement of nearly 200 families displaced by a huge fire at a crowded seaside community here late last month.

Rock Garay, chair of Barangay Dadiangas South, said Friday the local government is currently negotiating with concerned agencies to facilitate the relocation of the affected residents.

Garay said negotiations are ongoing with the National Housing Authority for the inclusion of qualified families into its socialized housing program.

At least 190 families are currently taking temporary shelter at the Irineo Santiago National High School here pending their relocation.

Most of them were not able to save their personal belongings when the fire razed their shanties in Purok Islam, Barangay Dadiangas South past 9 a.m. last December 28.

Some 100 houses and makeshift stalls made of light materials were destroyed in the fire, leaving damages estimated at PHP500,000.

“We’re doing everything to immediately resettle these families so they can also start their lives anew and resume their normal activities,” Garay said.

The official said the barangay council has initiated negotiations with the owner of the fire-hit site to allow the affected residents to rebuild their houses.

He said the area, which is located in front of the city central public market, is owned by the Armed Forces’ Retirement and Separation Benefits System (RSBS).

Garay said RSBS, which had been planning to develop the area into a commercial complex, was not keen on allowing the return of the residents.

The City Social Welfare and Development Office has been supporting the daily needs of the evacuees, while several donors have also provided food and other assistance to the victims.

Former Special Assistant to the President Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go personally visited the evacuees last Wednesday and delivered cash assistance, as well as relief items such as clothes, shoes, and food packs.

Go, who is a senatorial candidate, also vowed to provide medical assistance to the affected residents.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...