AFP likely to recommend ML extension in Mindanao

By Priam Nepomuceno/PNA

MANILA — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is inclined to recommend the extension of martial law in Mindanao.

This was disclosed by military spokesperson Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo in an interview with reporters Wednesday.

“Well, yun nga ang sinasabi natin, successful yung ating conduct ng security (operations). (As we said, our conduct of security operations are successful) but we have to sustain those gains and even yung (the) local governments, marami sa kanila ang nagpahayag ng kagustuhan, sa pamamagitan ng mga statements na in-issue nila (many of them expressed desire through their statements which they issued), some have issued resolutions wanting to continue the implementation of martial law in Mindanao, so kinakalap natin lahat itong mga inputs na ito para ating pag-aralan upang sa ganun makakuha tayo ng conclusive additions dun sa mga (we are collecting all these inputs which we will study so we can obtain conclusive additions to the) reasons if we are to extend martial law ,” he added.

“But more likely, the AFP will recommend its extension base dun sa mga initial na nabanggit ko (from what I have initially mentioned),” said Arevalo who declined to give a specific timeframe on its extension.

Earlier, Malacañang said it would depend on the recommendation of the AFP on whether martial law will be extended after the end of the year.

Martial law in Mindanao was declared on May 23, 2017 following attacks launched by the Maute Group in Marawi City.

The House of Representatives, in a special joint session in July last year, granted the extension of martial law until Dec. 31, 2017 at the President’s request.

The Senate and House of Representatives, convening in a joint session early December, granted the Chief Executive’s request for the extension of martial law and the suspension of the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus for a period of one year from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2018.

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...