AFP, PNP chiefs vow thorough probe on Samar ‘misencounter’

TACLOBAN CITY — Top officials of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) have vowed to dig deeper into the misencounter that killed six cops and wounded nine others in Sta. Rita Samar Monday morning.

Both AFP chief General Carlito Galvez and PNP chief Director General Oscar Albayalde assured that justice will be served after the thorough investigation.

The two officials visited the wake of six slain policemen at St. Peter Funeral Homes in this city Wednesday noon.

While the investigation is ongoing, Galvez said the soldiers involved in the incident were disarmed, and their firearms are subject to ballistic test.

Galvez told reporters that what happened cannot be considered an ambush. “This is an unfortunate accident and nobody wanted it to happen. We assured the families of slain policemen that if there are lapses, justice will be done.”

Albalyalde said the event is tragic, but they don’t want to blame anyone since the investigation is still ongoing.

He clarified that the encounter site was highly vegetated and there was no way or low probability of identification.

“We have to understand that enemies wear the same uniform as part of their diversionary tactics.”

“What ever happened there, we will find out after the joint board of inquiry by the PNP and AFP release the findings of investigation,” Albayalde said. “If it is with lack coordination, then we will probably improve the coordination between the police and army especially so with our operating units.”

At least 17 members of the Philippine Army 87th Infantry Battalion had a misencounter with 33 members of the 805th Mobile Company of the Regional Mobile Force Battalion Region 8 past 9 a.m. on Monday in Sitio Lunoy, San Roque village in Sta. Rita town.

Both teams were conducting simultaneous combat operations against the New People’s Army rebels. (Lizbeth Ann Abella/PNA)

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...