Cebu mayor’s ex-security killed in Bohol drug bust

CEBU CITY — The former bodyguard of Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña was killed by members of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and Regional Intelligence Division in Central Visayas (RID-7) during an anti-narcotics operation in Bohol on Wednesday.

Senior Police Officer 1 Adonis Dumpit, a trusted security aide of Osmeña before he was reassigned to Bohol, shot it out with the apprehending team at past 8 a.m. in Barangay San Isidro, Tagbilaran City.

Senior Superintendent Remus Medina, chief of Regional Intelligence Division-Central Visayas, said they conducted a joint operation against Dumpit, who has been tagged as a high-level target and protector by the NBI.

At least 15 medium-sized packs of methamphetamine hydrochloride or “shabu” were recovered from Dumpit’s possession which only confirmed the latter’s involvement in the illegal drugs trade, said Medina.

Also recovered from Dumpit were some cash believed to be proceeds of the drug trade, his service firearm, and three magazines.

Based on reports reaching the RID-7 and NBI-7 office, Dumpit was about to deliver drugs to Cabawan District in Tagbilaran when he was intercepted by the authorities.

Medina said the operation against Dumpit was legitimate and that a shootout did take place.

Dumpit, a bemedalled police officer and multi-awarded sharpshooter, served as Mayor Osmeña’s close-in security before killing a 17-year-old robbery suspect in 2004.

He surrendered in 2010 and served his minimum jail term of six years at the Leyte Regional Prison in Abuyog, Leyte.

Following his release from prison in 2016, Dumpit was assigned to the Police Regional Office in Central Visayas, at the Cebu City Police Office, and at the Carbon Police Station as chief. He was reassigned to Bohol only earlier this month. ( Luel Galarpe/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...