AFP reiterates stance vs. hazing, all forms of physical abuse

Armed Forces of the Philippines logo. (Photo background courtesy of the Philippine News Agency)/PTV

By Priam Nepomuceno | Philippine News Agency

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Tuesday reiterated its stance against hazing, physical abuse, and all forms of degrading treatment.

“The AFP is a professional institution built on discipline, integrity, and respect for human dignity. We do not and will never tolerate hazing, physical abuse, maltreatment or any form of degrading treatment,” the AFP said in a statement.

The military issued the statement following the death of 22-year-old rookie soldier Pvt. Charlie Patigayon in Maguindanao del Norte last week.

Patigayon was reportedly undergoing reception rites with other soldiers at the 6th Infantry Battalion headquarters in Barangay Capiton, Datu Odin Sinsuat when he collapsed on July 30 and died the following day.

Reception rites are a series of exercises new soldiers are instructed to do when reporting to their units.

Two officers and 19 enlisted personnel have already been relieved from their posts following Patigayon’s death, which is already under investigation.

The AFP said Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr., its chief of staff, has already issued a “clear and uncompromising directive” to all units to uphold the highest standards of military conduct and discipline and reject all forms of hazing, physical abuse, maltreatment, and degrading treatment.

“The AFP remains fully committed to cultivating a culture of professionalism, mutual respect, and accountability. All personnel, regardless of rank or tenure, must be treated with dignity in every setting whether in training, duty, ceremonies, or daily interactions,” it said.

Popular

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...